Sunday, June 21, 2009

Apocalypto


I can't believe I had missed this movie when it was released. Its one of the most engaging movies that I have seen. The cinematography, the story, the execution are all simply superb. Mel Gibson surely has an eye for camera angles! While watching the movie I actually thought I was running along with Jaguar Paw (name of the film's hero). The image I have picked for the movie does little justice to the movie's imagery. This is a must watch if you fancy thrillers!
The movie is set against the backdrop of the declining Maya civilization. Mel Gibson intended to draw parallels between the kind of problems that the Mayan's faced during their decline and the kind of problems our society presently faces - such as environmental damage and political corruption.
Feels good to watch a movie that adds to your knowledge of history :)
P.S. - Its funny how history gets interesting only after school. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel this way?

[Spoiler ahead]
There are so many memorable scenes from the movie! But if I have to pick one, it has to be the one where Jaguar Paw gets Zero Wolf to walk into the trap set up for catching tapir.
[/Spoiler ahead]

No comments: